Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What American's Want?

A Gallup Poll reported two-thirds of Americans are in favor of passing strict laws concerning the treatment of farm animals. Most people don't want to think of the conditions that Factory Farmed animals are raised in, but when aware they don't want them treated in cruel manner. Again I think if cruelty free products are readily available and clearly label Humanely Treated; more people would choose them over the Factory Farmed animals.
One of the deterrents from choosing to be an Ethical Omnivore in this busy world, is finding the products. Most restaurants are not serving cruelty-free products. I personally have given up eating beef, chicken or pork while at a restaurant. I still will eat seafood. But what I have had to give up is Fast Food, now the plus to that is I have saved quite a bit of money each week by not eating out and have shed a few pounds, too. But socially it is difficult when you want to do out with friends. I'll have more say about this another time.
I have until now eating Murray's Chicken or other Certified Humane non-processed meats. But, after learning that there are bot dogs, lunch meats and bacon available I have been very eager to try them.
Today, I went to the Oakbridge Publix (in Lakeland, FL) to pick up lunch. I was eager to try some of the Applegate Farms Certified Humane Hot Dogs. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I could not find it and when I ask the Meat Clerk, he told me that there wasn't enough of a demand and they had removed both the Hot Dogs & Bacon. I couldn't believe it. The clerk took my name and number and said he would call me when he found out more. In about an hour he did call and said he did order the Hot Dogs and they will be in Saturday. But to keep the products in the stores we have to support them.
Here is a list of the Certified Humane and Cruelty Free products I am aware of. Some may or may not be in your area.
  • Murray's Chicken (breast, legs & whole chickens)
  • Applegate Farms (selected organically processed meats)
  • Organic Valley (milk, cheese, butter & more)*
  • Organic Prairie (meats, sausage) -part of Organic Valley CO-OP*
  • Stony Fields Organic (milk, cheese, yogurt, butter & more) -also part of Organic Vally*
  • Grain 4 Cage Free Eggs*
  • Muir Glen (soups)* I emailed them to check.
  • Chipotle Restaurants* Tampa (as far as I know the only one supporting cruelty free in our area)
  • 365 Whole Food Brands* (report they practice humane animal treatment)
    *Not Certified Humane, but have demonstrated their commitment to Cruelty-Free Farming

    Also I have not heard back from the email I sent to Publix Headquarters, regarding if their GreenWise products our cruelty free.

No comments:

Post a Comment